Seven years ago, the Health Center at De Anza High School in Richmond started in a small room and offered limited services to students once a week. From there it expanded into three modular units and expanded services.
Last year, De Anza High School's Health Center provided:
- individual counseling to 118 students;
- medical services to 251 students;
- youth leadership opportunities to students through its seven peer-to-peer mentoring, youth development, and health education programs;
- and services to 613 individual students in one or more capacities averaging 13 visits per year.
A survey last year of De Anza students involved in the Health Center's Youth Development programs shows that:
- 82% improved their grades;
- 78% improved their attendance;
- 80% enjoyed coming to school more; and
- 82% felt more connected to people at school.
The larger new facility that has just opened allows the Health Center to expand and improve these services and its impact!